Albia Public Library
Current street address: 203 East Benton Avenue Albia, IA 52531 -2306
Carnegie address: 203 East Benton Avenue Albia, IA 52531 -2306
Original building still standing: Yes
Still in use as a library: Yes
Carnegie Grant Information
Date of Grant: April 11, 19051
Amount of Grant: $10,000.001
Opening Date: Saturday, March 21, 1908, no formal exercises2
Carnegie Correspondent: N. E. Kendall, Chair of the State of Iowa Judiciary Committee
Librarian, at Dedication: Mrs. Laura M. Duncan2
Town & County
County: Monroe County
Population in 1900: 2,889
Population in 2010: 3,766
Twelfth Census of the United States — 1900. p. 448.
Albia is the county seat of Monroe County, Iowa. The county was established on February 17, 1843, and orignally named Kishkekosh County for a Chief of the Fox Tribe. In 1846, the name was changed to honor James Monroe, the fifth president of the United States. in 1844, there was controversy over the location for the county seat with the towns of Princeton and Clark’s Point vying for the honor. The town of Princeton prevailed, although in 1846, the name was changed to Albia.
(Source: Pratt, LeRoy G. “The Counties and Courthouses of Iowa.” Mason City, Ia; Klipto Printing & Office Supply Company, 1977, p. 234.)
Library History Documents (Reports, Newspapers, etc.)
Library Board Materials (Meetings, Forms, etc.)
Facilities (Building Maintenance)
Operations (Library Service Expenses)
Librarian & Accession Books
Help us write this history!