Charles City Public Library
Current street address: 106 Milwaukee Mall Charles City, IA 50616-2281
Carnegie address: 301 N Jackson St. Charles City, IA 50616
Original building still standing: Yes
Still in use as a library: No
Carnegie Grant Information
Date of Grant: January 2, 19031
Amount of Grant: $12,500.00 1
Cornerstone Date: 0000-00-00 00:00:00
Opening Date: Thursday, November 24, 1904, no formal exercises2
Carnegie Correspondent: John G. Legel, Druggist
Librarian, at Dedication: Miss Belle Caldwell
Architect: Patton & Miller, Chicago
Contractor: W. F. Cook, Clinton
Building Size: 65' x 47'
Building Description: "The building is attractive in appearance, being constructed of brick with stone trimmings, and a foundation of native boulders."2
Town & County
City: Charles City
County: Floyd County
Population in 1900: 4,227
Population in 2010: 7,652
Twelfth Census of the United States â€” 1900. p. 449.
Charles City is the county seat of Floyd County, which was established on January 15, 1851. Floyd County was probably named for Sergeant Charles Floyd (1782-1804), the only member of Lewis and Clark’s Expedition to die on the journey. Floyd died in the Sioux City area. In 1854, the county seat was established at St. Charles, which later became St. Charles City, and finally in 1860, was changed to Charles City.
(Source: Pratt, LeRoy G. “The Counties and Courthouses of Iowa.” Mason City, Ia; Klipto Printing & Office Supply Company, 1977, p. 122-123.)
Library History Documents (Reports, Newspapers, etc.)
Library Board Materials (Meetings, Forms, etc.)
Facilities (Building Maintenance)
Operations (Library Service Expenses)
Librarian & Accession Books
Help us write this history!