Davenport Public Library
Current street address: 321 Main Street Davenport, IA 52801-1490
Carnegie address: 399 N. Main St. Davenport, IA 52801-1490
Original building still standing: No
Still in use as a library: No
Carnegie Grant Information
Date of Grant: December 2, 18991
Amount of Grant: $50,000.00 (initial) + $25,000.001
Cornerstone Date: 0000-00-00 00:00:00
Opening Date: Wednesday, May 11, 1904, Turner Grand Opera House, 3:002
Carnegie Correspondent: B. F. Tillinghast, Newspaper Editor
Librarian, at Dedication: Miss Marilla Waite Freeman2
Architect: Calvin Kiessling, Boston, Massachusetts2
Building Style: "...free adoption of Greek motives modified by the French Renaissance."2
Building Size: 120' x 68' 2
Town & County
County: Scott County
Population in 1900: 35,254
Population in 2010: 99,685
Twelfth Census of the United States â€” 1900. p. 449.
Davenport is the county seat of Scott County, which was established December 21, 1837. The county was named in honor of Major General Winfield Scott (1786-1866) who was involved in the Black Hawk War as well as the Mexican War. The town of Davenport was named for Colonel George Davenport (1783-1845) who had located a trading post for furs at the site. In 1838, the site was selected as the county seat.
(Source: Pratt, LeRoy G. “The Counties and Courthouses of Iowa.” Mason City, Ia; Klipto Printing & Office Supply Company, 1977, p. 284-286.)
No contractor documents
No building documents
Library History Documents (Reports, Newspapers, etc.)
Library Board Materials (Meetings, Forms, etc.)
Facilities (Building Maintenance)
No documents yet.
Operations (Library Service Expenses)
Librarian & Accession Books
Help us write this history!